top of page
Grayson County Department of Social Services is now offering “The Corner of Success” as an added benefit to residents of Grayson County. We want to help you further your education or obtain gainful employment so that we can “Rise Above Poverty” here in our own community. We have dedicated staff to help you in pursuing a higher education, preparing to apply for and interview for gainful employment and everything in between!
Sometimes ,all we truly need to succeed, is someone in our corner willing to fight for us and push us to do more for ourselves. Our Mission Statement defines who we are: “People helping people triumph over poverty, abuse and neglect to shape strong futures for themselves, their families and communities.”
Together, we can do more!
“The Corner of Success” was inspired by the SNAPET program. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Employment and Training (SNAPET) is a voluntary program designed to assist SNAP participants in finding employment.
In Virginia, SNAPET is composed of several components designed to help you reach your goal of employment or, if you are already employed, career advancement.
After you complete your assessment, a plan will be designed by both you and the worker outlining the strategy to be used to achieve both your short and long-term goals!
In other words, if you QUALIFY, you can choose to receive help in improving your employability skills from “The Corner of Success.”
The following services are available based on need and specific location:
• Job Search (how to look, what to look for, etc)
• Job Search Readiness
• Vocational Training (find and apply for)
• Education Including online learning, Adult Basic Education/GED and Community College Programs. (finding a school, applying for Financial Aid, etc)
• Work Experience (how to find internships, etc)
• Post Employment Services (potential supplies needed for the job, etc)
• Supportive Services potentially including Gas Vouchers for Transportation
• And Employment Retention Services (dealing with challenges that could cost you the job)
1. Deciding that “The Corner of Success” is right for you is the first step in how to obtain the assistance.
2. Reach out to Deborah Webb at Grayson County DSS and request an appointment to start your assessment.
3. Put forth the effort and follow through on the designated plan and continue to communicate with us when needs change.
4. In person training for the following:
• Interviewing Skills
• Understanding the local Workforce
• Budgeting for Continued Success
• And more!
And we will also put you in contact with the appropriate resources for continued education/training. We will support you through each step to help keep you on track as you continue proving to yourself, that you can be successful!
Get started today!
For more information about “The Corner of Success,” please contact:
Crystal Cureton - Self Sufficiency Case Specialist
Samantha Hayes - Self Sufficiency Case Specialist
In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability.
To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free: 1-866-632-9992. TDD users can contact USDA through local relay or Federal relay at 1-800-877-8339 (TDD) or 1-866-377-8642 (relay voice users). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
There's NO better time to invest in yourself than NOW!
Introducing "The Corner of Success!"
Grayson County Department of Social Services wants to help you do just that!
Our Vision Statement is to:
Educate and Empower through SUCCESS:
And we want to include you in that SUCCESS!
bottom of page